Finding the perfect image can be as easy as 1-2-3. Keeping the below steps in mind can make your search even more effective.
1. Enter Basic Keywords Let’s say you want to find an image of a dog. But not just any dog. You want an adorable dog. To begin, you can enter the basic keywords dog and adorable in the main search box. You don’t want to add too many keywords. Entering too many keywords can be limiting, and you'll end up with too few results.
2. Exclude Keywords After your first search, you will notice that you now have a lot of photos of adorable dogs; however, some cats have managed to sneak in there too. To filter the cats out, we can use the Exclude Keywords field in the REFINE YOUR SEARCH box to the left of the search results.
Simply type the word cat in the Exclude Keywords field, and press Search. Poof! You have now filtered away the felines.
Please Note: The Exclude Keywords field can take more than one term. You can remove other unwanted subjects (children, for instance) from your adorable dog images by adding words like children, boy, girl, and baby, just to be safe. And, after clicking on Search again, you will be left with only your adorable dogs. No cats, no kids. You can go on to add any term you do not want included.
3. Open It Up After filtering what you don't want, include what you do want. Let’s say you want your dog to have a yummy bone in the image, you can do so by typing bone next to adorable and dog on the search bar right below the REFINE YOUR SEARCH title.
4. Select The Format If you want a specific type of image, an illustration instead of a photo for instance, you can use our check boxes (also in the REFINE YOUR SEARCH box, to the left). Just check the type of image you want - image, illustration, or vector - and the search will exclude the others.
5. Sort the Results By default, results are returned showing you the most popular images in your search. The order can be changed to show images that may be more relevant to your keywords. You can also choose to view the newest images in the category. To switch sort order, use the links on the upper right corner, on top of the results, as shown below.
Remember, you can refine your search even further. Select whether you would like the images to be only horizontal or vertical. You can even check or un-check our SafeSearch box to include or exclude material that may not be appropriate for all ages.
And, of course, you can always use our "Categories" for inspiration. Happy searching!